The Tynemouth constituency covers a number of wonderful communities, from the north bank of the river Tyne, taking in a beautiful sweep of sandy coastline, and much of the area in between.
The area includes Tynemouth, North Shields, Whitley Bay, Cullercoats, Monkseaton, and since 2010 Shiremoor and Backworth.
Since the May 2010 general election, the seat has the following electoral wards:
- Chirton (Chirton and part of North Shields)
- Preston (Preston village and part of North Shields)
- Collingwood (Part of North Shields, Preston Grange, Preston Farm, New York and Murton)
- Cullercoats (All of Cullercoats)
- Monkseaton North (The eastern area of Monkseaton and part of Whitley Bay)
- Monkseaton South (The western part of Monkseaton and part of Whitley Bay)
- St Mary’s (Northern Whitley Bay, Wellfield and Earsdon Village)
- Tynemouth (All of Tynemouth Village and part of North Shields)
- Valley (Shiremoor and Backworth)
- Whitley Bay (Whitley Bay town centre)