I attended the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! parliamentary campaign launch where I found out more about the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
I was surprised to hear that at least 4,000 people are treated in hospital and over 50 are killed by CO poisoning every year, but the true figures are likely to be even higher.
Almost three in five people don’t associate symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness and breathlessness with carbon monoxide poisoning which makes it even more difficult to diagnose CO.
I am supporting the campaign’s call to make sure that everyone in Tynemouth protects themselves and their loved ones. As part of this I would urge everybody to follow the simple ABC checklist – Do you have an Alarm fitted? Have you tested it and are the Batteries working? Have you had an up to date gas check?”
The campaign kindly provided me with a limited number of alarms which can be found at my constituency office. Please pop in to pick one up while they are still available - or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org